It hasn't been that long since the last edition. I've just read a lot of great stuff, especially the link of the day.
I'll be pulling for Michigan State tonight. UNC is pretty formidable. Should be a good game.
From Winston Churchill. He would know.
El éxito es aprender a ir de fracaso en fracaso sin desesperar.
Phonetic with emphasis on bold syllable:
Ell ake-see-toe ess ah-prain-dare ah eer day frah-cah-so enn frah-cah-so seen dace-ace-pare-ar.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
A large group of endangered Irrawaddy dolphins was found near Bangladesh. This is great, and not just because these dolphins look like alien dolphins (they are actually more closely related to orcas than the familiar bottlenose dolphins).
I am feeling the lack of one of my favorite shows, Battlestar Galactica, and it looks like I'm not alone.
Another show has left the air, ER, and I think that it did so quite well.
Bad Film = Good Humor
Eric Snider reviews Bruce Willis' 1991 film Hudson Hawk:
Black Market Spokane
Die Hard and Die Hard 2: Die More Harder were huge hits in 1988 and 1990, and that gave Willis the confidence to try an idea he'd come up with himself. The concept: a grating action-comedy where the action doesn't make sense and the comedy isn't funny.
The film: Hudson Hawk
The result: I CANNOT SEE YOU, FOR I HAVE CLAWED MY EYES OUT.
A ban on detergents deemed environmentally unfriendly has led residents of Spokane Washington to Idaho.
An interesting bit of history has emerged between T.S. Elliot and George Orwell. Orwell orginally sent the classic book Animal Farm to the publisher where Elliot was director. It was rejected, as its politics were not all that convincing. Very interesting in retrospect.
Link of the Day
I saw this on the Travel Channel- it is something called the Hellfire Challenge at a wing joint called SmokeEaters. The extra-hot sauce has the equivalent of 1/2 a Habanero pepper PER WING! I once ate two habaneros as part of a pepper challenge, but I had non of the restrictions of this place:
1. SIGN WAIVER FORM ADMITTING THAT YOU ARE AN IDIOT FOR THE DAMAGE YOU WILL BE CAUSING YOUR MIND, BODY, AND SPIRIT FOR ATTEMPTING THE HELLFIRE CHALLENGE.This is just nuts. Would any of you try it?
2. PARTICPANT HAS 10 MINUTES TO EAT 12 WINGS TO THE BONE.
3. AFTER EATING 12 WINGS PARTICPANT MUST WAIT AN ADDITIONAL 5 MINUTES AT THE TABLEBEFORE EATING OR DRINKING ANYTHING.
4. NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK DURING THE CHALLENGE INCLUDING THE 5 MINUTE WAITING PERIOD.
5. NO NAPKINS ARE ALLOWEED TO BE USED DURING THE CHALLENGE OR DURING THE 5 MINUTE WAITING PERIOD.
6. PARTICPANT MUST LICK CLEAN ANY SAUCE ON HANDS BEFORE THE 5 MINUTE WAITING PERIODWILL START.